Volkswagen vehicles are well-known and well-loved for being durable and reliable, but they are not impervious to their own share of issues. Every car has its faults, and one of the most common for Volkswagen models is a faulty wiring harness.
You may have a Volkswagen yourself and are wondering whether or not this problem affects you. Let’s find out by discussing:
- What a wiring harness it/what it does
- Why it is important
- Symptoms of a faulty wiring harness
- What you can do to resolve the issue
What is a Wiring Harness and What Does It Do?
As you know, there are many electrical elements to a vehicle that keep it running smoothly and safely. This requires wiring, and wires are delicate. A wiring harness is a device that holds, insulates, and protects the wires connecting electrical components to various gauges and systems, leaving them less susceptible to damage caused by heat, moisture, and corrosion.
Why Wiring Harnesses Are Important
Wiring harnesses are all that stands between the delicate electrical components of your car and the elements. If the harness is faulty or broken, many critical parts of your vehicle will begin to fail. Ultimately, damaged wires are dangerous because the parts you rely on for information and safety break down. This could cause multiple accidents that will leave you and potentially other people injured or dead.
Warning Signs of a Faulty Wiring Harness
When a wiring harness fails to effectively protect the wires in your Volkswagen vehicle, a few signs may pop up to warn you that you need to resolve the issue as soon as possible. These include:
- The failing or dimming of headlights, brake lights, and tail lights. You need all of these to see with and to signal to others what your intentions are while driving. Without them to guide you and others around you, you will crash or injure a pedestrian at night.
- Your car may catch on fire. This is the quickest way to ensure that someone gets hurt, and the problem is more common in Volkswagen vehicles than is reasonable. Depending on what catches fire, parts of your vehicle may explode. Of course, this is something that most often happens as a result of a long period of neglect; if you pay attention to other signs, you should not have to worry about this particular danger.
- Your vehicle will not start. Faulty wiring negatively impacts the ignition. Because of this, you may experience problems with starting your Volkswagen vehicle.
- You can smell burning plastic. Any smell coming from a car should be thoroughly investigated. If everything is staying in place and working properly, you should only be breathing in that sweet aroma of coffee on your way to work.
Volkswagen Models Most Affected By Faulty Wiring Harnesses
Older models of Volkswagen vehicles are most at-risk for experiencing a faulty wiring harness. To be safe, you should always have your cars, especially older makes, inspected by someone you can trust.
How to Resolve the Issue
You may now realize that your own car has been experiencing similar issues and you are panicking because you don’t know where to go. This sense of urgency is a good thing, but not fixing the issue on time is still bad.
You can calm down, now, because you can bring your Volkswagen vehicle to the wonderful technicians at Germany’s Best Inc. Our technicians specialize in working on German imports like yours, so you can be sure that they will get the job done right the first time. It isn’t often that you can say so for standard auto shops!
We have been in business for over 25 years; you can rest assured that we have the know-how to fix just about any issue you are facing. In addition to the Volkswagen brand, we also specialize in servicing:
- Smart Car
We are located convenient to these areas of CA:
Help us help you today! If you have any questions, stop by or call us at 510-658-8948. We promise to answer all of our questions to the best of our ability and to make this experience as stress-free as possible.